Bio Comb Fluidized Bio Media Bio Comb is a versatile, easy-to-use and highly efficient fluidized bio media that creates a living biofilm of beneficial bacteria attached to and growing on its surface. Bio Comb transforms toxic ammonia into nitrite, and then into non-toxic nitrate, an essential nutrient used as the primary source of nitrogen for aquatic plants. The low maintenance, self-cleaning process establishes and sustains a vibrant and healthy natural eco-system where fish and plants thrive. Bio-Comb allow you to come safely maintain higher fish loads with the same pump and filter. Bio-Comb are very compact and can create a huge benefit in your feature, without taking up much space. All biological filter media utilize the biofilm process – bacteria attaching to and growing on the filter media. Ordinary static bed media such as lava rock, foam and mats build up thick layers of bacteria. The inner layers are young and hungry for ammonia (think teenage boy metabolism!) while the outer layers are old and mature that are near the end of their lifecycle and desire very little ammonia (think senior citizen portions!). Static media doesn’t move around inside the filter and the older, outer layers of dead and dying bacteria bind together and build up, forming a clump surrounding and “starving” the healthy and ammonia hungry bacteria. These media must be removed and cleaned periodically to maintain optimum filter performance. Bio Comb Fluidized Bio Media is different. Water and air agitate the loosely packed media inside the filter, causing the outer layers of old, dead bacteria to shed and allowing younger, hungry beneficial bacteria to feed on ammonia and oxygen. Protected spaces within the Bio Comb Fluidized Bio Media serve as “incubators’, supporting the continuous production of new bacteria within the colony. Bio Comb Fluidized Bio Media is designed to provide the best possible habitat for both young and mature beneficial bacterial colonies.
- Versatile, easy-to-use and highly effective filter media that transforms harmful, toxic ammonia from fish waste into healthy, beneficial nitrates which release nitrogen to feed aquatic plants.
- This is a fluidized bio media. Outer layers of dead and decaying bacteria are shed and continuously replaced with new blooms of thriving, ammonia hungry bacteria.
- Protected spaces within the media serve as “incubators”, supporting continuous production of new bacteria within the colony.
- Static filter media, like rock, mats and foam must be regularly removed, cleaned and reinstalled in the filter. Bio Comb Fluidized Bio Media is low maintenance and self-cleaning. Bio Comb media, suspended in water and moving within the filter, is the secret.
- Bio Comb Fluidized Bio Media is designed to provide the best possible habitat for both young and mature beneficial bacteria colonies